Monday, April 14, 2008

#10 -Technology and time management or how does one find time to blog when I don't have time to floss???

I know web 2.0 technology is nothing less than amazing. I love the fact that we can email, text, blog, post, etc. at any time, all at our fingertips. But I find there is so much of it that I really need to be prudent in deciding which aspects of technology work best for me. I don't have time for all this convenience!

With the magic of web 2.0, I have not been given the gift of a 48 hour day. How does everyone do it? Perhaps it is that I am a web 2.0 "immigrant" as opposed to being a "web 2.0 native", one who has been raised with technology and understands it as easy as one's mother tongue? As much as I love technology, it does not come easy for me. I have to think carefully about my posts, check spelling and grammar (please don't laugh). I need to make sure I am sending a post privately as opposed to a listserv (again, don't laugh, I have done that as well). Since I don't use all this technology enough to commit it to memory, I have to reread notes when I am working with flickr, doing a podcast, etc.

If I am to do my job, spend a bit of time with my family, maybe see a friend or two (in person, not online), exercise, get enough sleep and floss, I really have to be careful - it is so easy to be sucked into the vortex of technology - reading blogs, posts, chatting, etc. For now I will stick with only my favorite blog feeds, my flickr account, writing my own blogs, subscribing to just a few listservs, a few of my favorite social bookmarking sites....

...something is going to have to go... :)

No comments: