Thursday, May 15, 2008

#23 Wrapping Up

Hmmm...the best thing I liked about this challenge was getting re-acquainted with Web 2.0 and exploring some sites I was not familiar with. Discovering new online places is always fun. During #'s 18 and 19 I discovered Zoho and SEOmoz. Being able to inspect them and keep what I like and pass over the rest expands what I can use and share with others online (I just recommended Zoho to someone this morning). I am also enjoying exploring Listen NJ but so far have not found a book to just download (I am at work so can't burn to a CD) so I have not posted on that yet!

What I liked least is the sheer magnitude of it all. There is so much it is easy to overload after a bit, or conversely, become so immersed you forget what you were exploring in the first place.

I know I mentioned before on one of my posts that we should make use of wikis (and our department is beginning to do just that thanks to Kristen Kirk for getting the ball rolling). But we could also make use of vodcasting forums or special staff programs that we cannot attend, especially if they are given by outside speakers and it is a one-time only deal. Another use could be for training. Instead of having to take staff time to explain certain procedures, a vodcast/screencast could do the same (i.e. for forms, Horizon procedures). It would take a bit of time and effort to set in place but could be useful in the future. I hate to bother colleagues to walk me through a procedure that I may not have used in a while and have forgotten. But if I could "click" to the podcast - great!

What have I shared? GoogleDocs, Zoho, blogging, wikis, Color Blender, Pandora, RSS feeds, bloglines come to mind. Since most of my colleagues are now familiar with these aspects of Web 2.0, I find that I spend more time just trying to explain to the lay person, one who is not at all computer savvy, just what 2.o can do. Which is very difficult if someone is intimidated by computers. But hey, I got my mom blogging and that is an accomplishment!

No comments: